Looking for an alternative to a flour rich Xmas Cake recipie?
This raw event is a sweet, dense, fruit and nut based ‘cake’, spiced with citrus, ginger, and almond extract. It loves to be frosted with a thick layer of coconut whipped cream & garnished with pecans and dried cherries.
Make individual mini cakes for school lunch boxes or that casual afternoon with the kids in the park. Or indulge your friends with a large cake sliced into pieces for taking home after the party is over!
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup packed dates
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 ” ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- Grind the cashews, almonds & coconut in a food processor. Put aside.
- Thoroughly blend all remaining ingredients in food processor.
- Add dry mixture & process into a dough.
- Fold in the fruit & nuts (below).
- Press dough in a cake mold of your choice. A 7″ spring form pan with a cup in the middle makes a bunt looking cake. Or use 4″ spring form pans and make a hole in the center.
Fruit and Nuts
Combine your fav unsulfured dried fruit eg: dried cherries, pineapple, mulberries, raisins & goji berries. Chop bigger fruits like pineapple or mango. Add plain nuts.
- 3/4 cup dried fruit
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh fruit juice
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Toss the fruit and juice together and marinate for 1/2 – 1 hour (or longer).
Whipped Cream Topping
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
Blend all but the coconut oil until smooth with a high speed blender (for proper thickening it is important for the cashews to be completely broken down )
Add the oil & blend.
Pour into a large shallow pan and chill in the fridge for 12 hours (if you want to speed up the firming, freeze for 1 hour and then put back into the fridge).